Sunday, May 21, 2006

 

bumming around the music department

It is almost the end of the school year, which means there are a lot of senior and DMA recitals going on the in music department. I am fortunate that the music school is right next door to the physics department, wtf planning is that? Needless to say I have been going to a lot of recitals lately. I go largely because of free food afterwards. Yeah I am a shameless bum but free food is free food. Of course the food is not substantial, mostly wine and cookies but if you pick the right recitals, it could be a treasure trove.
White people do not know how to throw a party. I guess all they know is beer kegs. Their receptions tend to be wine, cookies and veggies. I am a bum, I am hungry, I cannot survive on cookies. Exception, if the recital is done by a graduate student, the receptions tend to be a little more lavish I guess it is a lot work preparing a graduate recital.
Asians especially koreans throw a good reception, especially if they bring all their church people along even better.
How do I navigate the awkwardness of being a reception where I know nobody and everyone else seems to know each other? I don't. Food can be quite engrossing, concentrating on finishing of plate of sushi, chicken wings and strawberries is a lot of work.
And yes I do care about the music except when the student decides to play some modern indigestible crap. Piano can get boring except if it is Bach, Bach is God. Female voice is fine as long as they do not spend the whole time singing Strauss lieder and german art songs, schubert lieder is tolerable. I do not care for woodwinds that much unless piece is baroque or the piece is jazz inspired. One of these days I have to go to a percussion recital. I love classical guitar but recitals in guitar quickly degenerates into playing modern art crap that borders between rock music that the industry rejected and music that the avant garde vaguely accepts.
I am an elitist when it comes to music, the more classical it is, the better!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?